We are very excited to be bringing forest school to Kindy, it will give children the unique opportunity of experiencing play and learning in a woodland environment.
What will the children be doing at Forest School?
Whilst at Forest School the children will enjoy a range of activities as well as closely supervised unstructured play. Each session will have a plan, however, the plans will be kept open and fluid so they can very much by guided by events, and by what the children want to do as each forest school will be unique. Examples of the types of opportunities the children will have:
• Shelter building
• Natural arts and crafts
• Story telling
• Tree and leaf recognition
• Animal tracks
• Bug hunting
• Mud kitchen
After the initial sessions the children may have the opportunity to try fire lighting, cooking and supervised tool use. We will put lots of photos on Tapestry for parents to see!
What the children need to bring?
It is important at Forest School that children are dressed appropriately and come prepared for unexpected weather changes. We will go outside in all weathers except high winds and thunderstorms.
If your child arrives without appropriate clothing, they will not be allowed to take part in the session.
• Wellies or walking boots.
• Warm layer in winter – vests, socks, thermals it is much better to have several thinner layers than one thick layer.
• Long sleeve tops - light layers for warmth. Children need to wear long sleeves in summer and cover legs in the summer too, this helps to prevent ticks, stings and bites.
• Good quality waterproof coat and trousers (these will be supplied by kindergarten) – the children will be out for 2 hours so keeping warm and dry is a way to have more fun.
• Warm hat and gloves – in winter, the children will need a pair of gloves and a spare pair in case they get wet.
• Sunhat and sun cream– when it is sunny even though we have coverage from the trees there are still open areas.
Please remember to label all clothing.
If you have any questions please ask us, we want to share the enthusiasm we have for this new venture with you. We also have a Forest school handbook which contains all our detailed policies, procedures and risk assessments. This is available to you to read and is kept with the other policies inside kindergarten.